Anita Blake: She is the main character from the Anita Blake Series written by Laurell K. Hamilton. For all her five foot nothing stature and graceful good looks, she has to be one of the toughest women in the supernatural world - and that was enough before the beginning of her first book!
Anita is my number one, because not only was she the first character I ever wanted to be after reading; but she is human enough to relate too. I admit the last couple of books are a little difficult to grasp and are a kind of out there, but her character from the early works is great - strong yet vulnerable.
Clary Fray: She is the female lead in the mortal instruments series written by Cassandra Clare. She adapts pretty quickly when she gets tossed into the world of the supernatural. Her best feature right from the very start is that she is willing to risk it all to save the ones she cares for - like her mother who is missing.
Clary is my number two, but would have been my number one if I read her first! However, the reason I like her character is because she has the drive to do the right thing and want to help out no matter what; and this is before she finds anything out about her history! She comes off as a plain teenage girl and in the world of the paranormal this is easy to relate to when reading.
5 - Dru Anderson: Strange Angels.
6 - Megan Chase: The Iron King.
8 - Sookie Stackhouse:The Southern Vampire Novels.
9 - Cassie Palmer: Cassie Palmer Series.
10 - Aislynn:Wicked Lovely Series.
As anyone can see, I love me a female lead in a world full of hardships. I love the premiss of a normal girl being tossed in a world of the supernatural and what she goes through to overcome everything; which usually makes of breaks her. All of this most likely makes the character stronger and smarter and sometimes they even become one of the supernatural themselves. Not only do I love to read about these heroines, but I also love to write them! If my main female leads could have a real conversation with me, they would probably start yelling about everything I put them through. Of course, I'd have to stick up for myself and tell them their past makes them who they are in the present and it's key to their future. Then I'd probably get slapped in the face (from Moira in my Staying Alive Series) or maybe chased with an ax (from Maggie in my They Walk Trilogy) but it's worth it to make my characters stronger.
Speaking of stronger, I am currently nearing the end of writing Headstrong - the third book in the Staying Alive Series and I have to say I love where the characters are taking me. Its weird how something can be outlined and then it changes to something totally different as you write. That is what happened to this one and more importantly to Moira; the series female lead. There are only two more books in the series after this one, and I can tell it's going to be hard for me to end it. Headstrong is coming out in two weeks and I can't wait for it to be released; and I can't wait to jump into writing my new Goddess of the Hunt Series! That is another one with a good strong main character, but I won't give anything away about that though - so don't ask!
I am currently reading Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini and I will be doing a review sometime this week. Before I can release my next book, I have to edit, and before that I have to finish it! So, here I go, off to write some more and be a busy girl today. I'll be releasing the newest cover sometime this week too, as well as the synopsis. A special thank you to Faye for giving They Walk a great review on Goodreads over the weekend! Check it out here and see for yourself, also thank you to all my readers you all rock and make me smile whenever I check my sales! Hope everyone has a great week! :)
8 comments:
I'm actually unfamiliar with most of the heroines on your list but I too love a female lead in a world full of hardship. Katniss Everdeen would definitely be at the top of my list.
Since many of those books are young adult, I've not read them. Glad you're almost finished with your book!
Great list! Anita from the earlier books is one of my favorites too. I like a strong, intelligent heroine thrown into near impossible circumstances.
A good friend loves the Morganville Vampires, but I'm afraid I just couldn't get into the first book.
Katniss is a great female heroine. Good list! I'll have to check out some of those books because I haven't read them yet, but they sound like they could be fab!
Katniss! She was great in the first two books but kind of fell apart as a strong female lead in Mockingjay -- of course I can blame only the author for that.
M.J. Fifield: I think the hardships make the story more interesting and easy to feel something for them. :)
Alex J. Cavanaugh: LOL, thank you!
Christine Rains: Thank you for stopping by!
L. Diane Wolfe: The first book is a tough read, but the rest flow pretty nicely - you should check it out!
cherie: Thank you!
Milo James Fowler: I have to agree with you there, the last book did make it kind of hard on her. She carried it well though! :)
I'm with MIlo (second time today). Katniss fell apart in book three for me too.
Post a Comment