Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Teaser Tuesdays & The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa Review

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
My Teaser

"I was down here, alone, with a vampire. And there was no one who could help me."

Pg. 45, The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) by Julie Kagawa

More Quotes to Share

"This just isn't my night. Deer, rabids, and now freaking mole men in the tunnels. No one is going to believe this. I shook my head and huddled lower, clutching the handle of my knife. Now all I need is a vampire to come sauntering through and it'll be perfect." -Pg. 44

***
"I gazed around at the pale, foaming rabids, not ten yards from me in any direction and for just a moment I felt calm. So this was the knowledge that you were about to die, that no one could help you, that it would all be over in a few short seconds."  -Pg. 73  

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa Review

From Goodreads

IN A FUTURE WORLD, VAMPIRES REIGN. HUMANS ARE BLOOD CATTLE. AND ONE GIRL WILL SEARCH FOR THE KEY TO SAVE HUMANITY. 

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked—and given the ultimate choice. Die… or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend—a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what—and who—is worth dying for. 

My Take

As a HUGE fan of Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey Series, I couldn't wait to get my hands on The Immortal Rules so I could consume every single page! Now that I finally got it (Thank you Harlequin and NetGalley!) I think I did more than consume this book, I'm pretty sure I inhaled it in one captivated sitting and loved every minute of it! I'm going to try and hold back my fan girl excitement in my love for this one so that I can express thing clearly, but no promises! The Immortal Rules starts with meeting Allie, a Fringer street rat who survives living in a vampire city by being unregistered and taking care of herself on a daily basis scrounging for food. In her life are three very different boys and together they form a sort of gang/family, but food is scarce so this leads Allie out of the "protection" of the city and into the ruins filled with rabids beyond it in search of sustenance. Hitting the jackpot, she leads her friends into a situation that will change her life forever. A change that makes her the thing she vowed to despise forever - a vampire. 

I know I say this all the time after reading something new, but Allison Sekemoto is seriously my new favorite heroine! She's pretty kick-ass, even in the beginning while she is still human, and even more so as a vampire. Her determination and attitude is definitely something to live by in a world ruined by vicious and devious monsters. Being a vampire isn't easy for her and she refuses to let her humanity go, so it's not all that surprising that she'd end up traveling with a band of humans. But that doesn't mean she has it so easy. To survive, she needs blood, and only human blood can sustain the Hunger - so that complicates things for her in the trust department. I love the way her character expresses her feelings about resisting and temptation, it is done in a way that is very believable and understood so that you feel the struggle. Plus, she wields a Katana like it's an extension on herself - so that means she rocks in my opinion!

But, like every good journey, she doesn't do it alone or without running into numerous complications. Allie's mentor is one of the many characters that I loved at first meeting - his cool demeanor and disinterest in everything is captivating enough that you can't help but to like him. Then of course there are the humans that she runs into. When we first meet Zeke, I knew right away that he was going be very interesting. Traveling with his congregation and a few stragglers, they are in search of a place called Eden, an entire city filled with humans and vampire free. This sparks an interest with Allie and she finds herself curious of the possibility, and leads not only herself but the humans she now travels with on a mission they never thought possible. I truly loved every single moment that Allie and Zeke interacted, the two of them are hilariously sweet and addictive!

The Immortal Rules is filled with an amazing pace of adventure and discoveries that I couldn't help being enamored with from page one. The world that Julie Kagawa has created is both terrifying and incredible in a way that I want to jump into the pages and at the same time run away screaming in fear of the rabids. Every scene is so beautifully written that even the action parts feel just as emotional and gut wrenching as the ones that will have you grabbing for tissues. All in all, if you love a great story filled with fast paced action, terrifying and realistic vampires, and a girl that isn't afraid to kick-ass and ask questions later - then The Immortal Rules is a must read! I definitely recommend making tons of spare time when starting this one, you won't want to stop and beware of wanting the sequel INSTANTLY after finishing. I can't wait to find out what happens next, especially after that ending - Julie Kagawa, you rock!

Check out The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa HERE on Goodreads to give a read and check out the awesome trailer below! :)

 
What's YOUR Teaser?
       

32 comments:

Jessica @ a GREAT read said...

Nice teaser!! Had to skim the review since I still need to read this! I was already in the middle of another book and I've never been one to stop reading one book for another! Hope to get to this one sometime tomorrow, but still not 100% sure if that's even possible!

Here's my Teaser

Have a GREAT day!

Old Follower :)

Jessica ( frellathon ) said...

Wow that teaser sure covers a lot of unpleasantness. Thanks for visiting mine :)

Katja Weinert said...

Wow! The Immortal Rules sounds so good, not that I'm surprised. Great review.

Katja Weinert said...

Great review! Sounds like TIR is amazing, not that I'm surprised :-)~

Irish said...

Really looking forward to starting this one soon. I love Julie Kagawa's books. Thanks for sharing...and for stopping by my teaser.

My Teaser is here.

Amanda said...

Great pick from TIR and great review!

I read this one Friday and OMG so good. I was in awe...I knew if anyone could write a great vampire book it'd be Kagawa, but sheez! LOL

Thanks for stopping by LIO!

Cathy De Los Santos said...

This sounds like a really great book. I love the second quote you gave, you just knew that's exactly what was going to happen ha. Thanks for stopping by. Will have to check this book out.

Wordsmith Publicity said...

Definitely interested in this book. I think I have in my TBR already. Nice teasers!

Sana said...

I have been waiting to read this book! Great teasers you have here =D

My Teaser Tuesday!

Sana @ artsy musings of a bibliophile

Anonymous said...

I have never read one of her books, I think that must change, and soon! Great teaser and review! :) Thanks for stopping by!!

Unknown said...

The rabids sound like an interesting concept... Though a little creepy!

Melissas Eclectic Bookshelf said...

This book sounds awesome!!

Thanks for stopping by My Teaser

♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

Anna @ Literary Exploration said...

I'm reading this one right now and it is AWESOME! I love it :) Seriously love the crazy vamps!! :)

Jessirae said...

AHH! I can't wait to read this The Immortal Rules! I have a eARC of it so I'm super excited to be able to start it soon! Love the teasers you chose.

Thanks for stopping by!

Jessirae @ Words, pages and books

Mari said...

Consider me teased, Amy :) I have read the first book in The Iron Fey series but sadly it didn't quite live up to my expectations but this new series sounds so gooood!

Christine Rains said...

Fantastic teasers and I love the premise of the book. I still haven't managed to get my hands on the Iron Fey series yet.

Michael @ The Bookshelf Review said...

Awesome teaser. Makes me really want to read the book. Can't wait. Thanks for sharing and Thanks for visiting my teaser. =]
-Michael
My Teaser

Sandra Nachlinger said...

This sounds like an amazing book! Thank you for posting the synopsis too.
Also, thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate it.
Sandy's Teaser

Mimi Valentine said...

AMY!! Oh my gosh, I feel like dancing in my own skin right now that you loved this book because I completely loved it too! Haha I always end up declaring my love for new heroines after every single day too, but Allie definitely deserves it! :) She was kick-ass and awesome and I looooved that she had a katana. And even though he's not a vampire, I'm thinking about offering Zeke my heart on a silver platter -- loved him so much! x)

Amazing review and teasers as every single week, Amy! <3 In case you couldn't tell, I'm ECSTATIC that you loved it too! :)

Gimme The Scoop said...

I have an ARC of this one waiting and I cant wait to get to it! My Teaser is from Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

Cherie Reich said...

Awesome teasers! I really want to read this book.

Here's my TT.

Karen said...

I've been on the fence about this one but it seems like a pretty unique take on vampires so I might give it a try.

Jennifer said...

Trapped with a vampire. HMM There are worse things--right? Maybe not. LOL Great teaser.

Alison Can Read said...

So glad you love this. I have it but haven't started it yet. Everyone is raving about it.

Yvonne said...

Another book to add to my shopping list. Great teaser!

Lexie said...

I love the teasers! :D I didn't read the review, because I'm trying to make my reading experience as fresh as possible, but I love, love, love the sound of this one. Julie Kagawa + vampires that are actually evil = high levels of awesome.

Eustacia Tan said...

I've been meaning to read something from Julie Kagawa! Great teaser(:

Thanks for stopping by my blog~

Aeicha @ Word Spelunking said...

Great teasers!
I have this one but haven't started it yet, but now I'm super excited to read it.

Thanks for stopping by!
:) Aeicha @ Word Spelunking

Unknown said...

Great teaser! JK is an amazing author. Brilliant. Thanks for sharing!

The More the Merrier said...

Ooh, Great teaser! I'm really liking the sound of The Immortal Rules and I can't wait to read it.

Beth said...

Doesn't sound like a great place to be! Thanks for stopping by.

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

Lovely teaser! I've been wondering about this book for some time. I'm starting to want it more and more.

Thanks for stopping by Reflections of a Bookaholic (sorry so late stopping by)