Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

Young Adult Dystopian Favorites

So I was going through some of the books I've been reading lately and realized that I've been consuming a lot of young adult Dystopian's. Since they are all pretty awesome and worth a read, I thought I'd share. Here is my list of favorites that I've read, the one I'm currently reading, and some more I hope to check out next!

My Favorites

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games is probably the first dystopian book I've ever read and liked enough to continue reading. I seriously couldn't put it down for a second and went right into reading the next two in the trilogy. Obviously it's a fan favorite, what with the movie coming out, and I for one will so be going to see it on opening night. Of course, a re-read is totally in my future before I see the movie.

Eve by Anna Carey

I loved Eve from the very first page and continued all the way to the very end. It had a very Wendy from Peter Pan feel to it, that I just couldn't get enough of. If there is any book I am looking forward to reading soon it's the sequel, because I so need to know what happens next.

Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Like Eve, Wither is another one that I loved from the very beginning. For such crazy circumstances, this one had so much emotional pull that I definitely felt what was being portrayed. By the time I reached the end, I knew I had to read the next part right away.

Divergent by Veronica Roth

I was caught by the description for this one, and instantly snared by chapter one. This story has it all; intensely captivating action, devastatingly emotional romance, and a crazy thrill-ride that I seriously couldn't get enough of. I'm a forever fan of Veronica Roth and look forward to reading everything in this series.

Ashfall by Mike Mullin


I was so hooked from the very first page with Ashfall, and basically could stop reading until I had it finished! There is non-stop action, tension, and crazy scenarios that literally had me biting my nails in anticipation. I really can't wait to read the sequel to find out what happens next!

Currently Reading

Article 5 by Kristen Simmons
New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., have been abandoned.

The Bill of Rights has been revoked, and replaced with the Moral Statutes.

There are no more police—instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behavior—instead, there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested usually don't come back.

Seventeen-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren’t always this way. Living with her rebellious single mother, it’s hard for her to forget that people weren’t always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. It’s hard to forget that life in the United States used to be different.

Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the military. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow.

That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings…the only boy Ember has ever loved.


Checking Out Next
 
Legend by Marie Lu

Blood Red Road by Moira Young

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder

Enclave by Ann Aguirre

I love everything there is to do with dystopians - and can't wait to find and consume so many more! What are some of YOUR favorites?

5 comments:

M.J. Fifield said...

Hunger Games and Wither are on my favorites list (can't wait for Fever!). Legend is on my TBR list.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I haven't read any of those, but then I don't really read young adult.

Katja Weinert said...

Loved Hunger Games, Divergent and Ashfall. Wither sounds great, will have to check it out.

And Legend's on my upcoming reads list too! Happy reading :)

Christine Rains said...

I've so many books to catch up with. The Hunger Games is my favorite, though.

Anonymous said...

Divergent and The Hunger Games are definitely (obviously!) at the top of my list. I'm halfway through Legend right now, and so far it's quite good! Enclave left me a bit flat.

Great list!