Pages

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Review: Misfit by Jon Skovron

From Amazon
Product Description:

Jael Thompson has never really fit in. She's changed schools too many times to count. The only family she's ever known is her father, a bitter ex-priest who never lets her date and insists she attend the strictest Catholic school in Seattle. And her mother--well, she was a five thousand year old demon. That doesn't exactly help.

But on her sixteenth birthday, her father gives her a present that brings about some unexpected changes. Some of the changes, like strange and wonderful powers and the cute skater boy with a knack for science, are awesome. But others, like the homicidal demon seeking revenge on her family? Not so much.

Steeped in mythology, this is an epic tale of a heroine who balances old world with new, science with magic, and the terrifying depths of the underworld with the ordinary halls of high school.

My Take:

I thought Misfit was a fun, exciting book and most definitely an engaging read. (You know, one of those books you want to just read in one sitting no matter what else you have planned for the day?) The characters were intriguing and the story kept me turning page after page just to see what would happen next.

Jael (the main character), is a teenage girl with a twist - she's half-demon. From the beginning, Jael knows what she is, which is refreshing because it makes her a stronger character. She knows what the risks of her exposure are and she knows that she has to be careful. Even so, this is the first time that she and her father have stayed in one town long enough for her to actually make friends. And wouldn't you know, just a Jael moves towards having her first boyfriend, everything changes.

I loved watching Jael learn to deal with her demon side - the strength and power that comes with unleashing it. It was interesting because she knew what she was but never really understood the consequences of that until her demon nature was unlocked. Also, back to that boyfriend, Rob - he's pretty awesome, but you're going to have to read the book to learn more about him.

There are a lot of books that just throw plot and action at you with no care for the emotion aspect of the character, but not this one. Misfit was both engaging and action packed, but it also had heart. Making it very easy to care about the characters and what happened to them, what is happening, and what could possibly happen. I definitely recommend this one for a read or two, and keep a look out for a sequel!


9 comments:

Tia said...

This sounds like a great book. I can't wait to read this.


Tia @ Falling For Books

Donna K. Weaver said...

Wow. Interesting book.

Misha Gerrick said...

Sounds interesting. Sounds like Jon Skovron delivered on a very difficult challenge. :-)

Scarlett said...

I've been meaning to read this one for a while, but hadn't gotten around to it yet. Your review makes me want to start on it very soon! Glad you liked it!

julie fedderson said...

Ooo, this one sounds good. I'll have to try it out.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed Misfit, too! Rob is a refreshing YA love interest - not all domineering and controlling. I love how Jael stands on her own two feet...

Jennie Bailey said...

This one sounds like it needs to be on my TBR pile NOW!! I'm slowly building it back up again and catching up on some reading. Thanks for this review. I'm going to see if I can pick up a copy.

Jo K said...

This seems interesting, I'll add it to my to-read list. Great review!

Amy said...

Thank you all for reading my review! I can't wait for the sequel to this one, I am so hooked! :)