Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011

Follow Friday (12) and Review of C.C. Hunter's Born at Midnight



I'm starting today with some Follow Friday fun, hosted by Parajunkee's View and Alison Can Read with Feature Bloggers - Caught in the Pages and Jenni Elyse!



 

Q. In books like the Sookie Stackhouse (True Blood) series the paranormal creature in question "comes out of the closet" and makes itself known to the world. Which mythical creature do you wish would come out of the closet, for real?


A.Werewolves! Of course they would have to be like Jacob Black (Twilight), Alcide Herveaux (True Blood), and Tyler Lockwood (The Vampire Diaries)! Because really, who wouldn't want them out of the closet. If everyone knew about them, they could walk around without their shirts....in case of accidental shifting and all. Doesn't that makes sense? No one wants to have to keep buying new shirts all the time, most of all shifters. So I say come out of the closet werewolves, and leave the shirts behind!

Speaking of supernaturals that need to come out of the closet, here is my review of Born at Midnight!




From Amazon
Product Description:

Don’t miss this spectacular new series that will steal your heart and haunt your dreams,  Welcome to Shadow Falls camp, nestled deep in the woods of a town called Fallen…

One night Kylie Galen finds herself at the wrong party, with the wrong people, and it changes her life forever.  Her mother ships her off to Shadow Falls—a camp for troubled teens, and within hours of arriving, it becomes painfully clear that her fellow campers aren’t just “troubled.”  Here at Shadow Falls, vampires, werewolves, shapshifters, witches and fairies train side by side—learning to harness their powers, control their magic and live in the normal world.

Kylie’s never felt normal, but surely she doesn’t belong here with a bunch of paranormal freaks either.  Or does she?  They insist Kylie is one of them, and that she was brought here for a reason.  As if life wasn’t complicated enough, enter Derek and Lucas.  Derek’s a half-fae who’s determined to be her boyfriend, and Lucas is a smokin’ hot werewolf with whom Kylie shares a secret past.  Both Derek and Lucas couldn’t be more different, but they both have a powerful hold on her heart.

Even though Kylie feels deeply uncertain about everything, one thing is becoming painfully clear—Shadow Falls is exactly where she belongs…

My Take: 


Just reading the synopsis, I knew I had to read this book right away. And I'm so glad that I did! The story revolves around Kylie, who feels like her life is falling to pieces around her and in a way in kind of is. Her parents marriage is ending and she feels helpless to do anything about it, but whats worse is that she is being followed around by some weirdo. Her life kicks into overdrive when she is forced to go to this strange camp by her mother, and finds out that it's way more than strange. It's pretty supernatural. And so is she.

As the narrator, Kylie is certainly an interesting girl to get to know. Her take on everything that is going on around her is at times hilarious. She tries to take it all in stride though, and for her part she stays relatively strong. Her combination of innocence and determination is captivating, and really set the story apart. But she isn't alone. Along the way she finds that there are others like her that sympathize.

For me, the secondary characters really make this story a hit. Mostly because there are a plethora of different types of supernatural beings. While the story isn't overwhelmed by them, it does a good job putting them out there so we get a taste. I really liked Kylie's roommates Della and Miranda, the two of them cracked me up. If I ever went to a camp like this one, I would want them as roommates.


Like all good young adult books though, there has to be some love interests. And boy oh boy does this one have it in spades! First there is Derek, he had me loving him from the first moment he is introduced. His brand of talent is pretty awesome and contagious, only because of the way he uses it and with whom. Then there is Lucas, the rough and tough bad boy with the dark good looks. Plus, his particular talent (werewolf) is a favorite of mine. I'd love him for that no matter what he looked like, and what's not to love about that?

All in all, I definitely recommend this book for a read or two.  The second installment of the series, Awake at Dawn, will be released in October 2011, so keep a look out! I know I can't wait to find out what happens next for Kylie!

Happy Friday everyone - Have a great weekend! :)
 
Today is the day, I'll give you a clue, my little princess is now 2! Happy Birthday Madilyn Lura Delorus - Mama loves you sweetie!

25 comments:

ChiKittie said...

Hi Amy. Thanks for following my blog, I would love to follow yours but I can't seem to find the follow button. I love your blog too. It looks awesome.

- Beckie
http://syco4twilight.blogspot.com/

Trish said...

ahahaha! i love your FF answer. Tooooo Funny and Dead-on!

I love it!

Trish - My Friday Memes 

Escape by Fiction said...

Holy moly did you see Alcide this week on TB? I think I literally said "Oh God" and "Yum" aloud while watching.

Good reading ~ Escape by Fiction

Richard said...

Haha! Your answer is great! Your review is great! I love the cover of that book and can't wait to read it!


Thanks for stopping by! Happy Friday and Happy Birthday to Madilyn!

My FF

Amy said...

Beckie: Thank you for stopping by! That follow button has been acting up for a while - tricky little thing! :)

Trish: LOL - thank you!

Escape by Fiction: I saw that!! I swear my mouth was hanging open for the rest of the episode. There should be more like that one too, and I don't mind if it doesn't fit with the plot. Just random Alcide popping in is fine with me! :)

Richard: LOL - Thank you! Happy Friday!

Unknown said...

Haha! Shirtless werewolves, well of course it makes sense! :D Thanks for stopping by, Happy Friday!

Shaunna @ Shaunna Reads said...

I'm not too big on werewolves usually, but I am all for more shirtless hot guys roaming the planet! =P Great answer!

Thanks for stopping by and following. :)

Happy Friday!
Shaunna
Scarlet Letters

J.C. Martin said...

Interesting book, thanks for the review, and happy birthday Madilyn!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Have a good weekend and looking forward to invading you on Monday!

Lisa (Lisa's World of Books) said...

Happy Birthday to your little one! I hope you have a great birthday! Thanks for the review. I have seen this one around but never sure about it.

http://www.lisasworldofbooks.net/posts/follow-friday-32/

Anna @ Literary Exploration said...

Hahah love your answer! I said the same thing :) Alcide is definitely one of my faves supes right now ;)
New follower!

Literary Exploration: Follow Friday [1]

Amy said...

Amy: LOL - Thank you! Happy Friday!

Shaunna: LOL - shirtless guys are always a plus! Thank you for stopping by!

J.C. Martin: Thank you! :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh: Thank you! LOL - looking forward to being invaded!

Lisa (Lisa's World of Books): Thank you! You should check it out, it's definitely worth it.

Anna: Thank you for following! Alcide is one of my favorites too, lol, he's just so nice to look at! :)

Uomo di Speranza said...

If those werewolves were walking around shirtles, they would put the Naked Cowboy out of business.

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm following you too!

Jenni Elyse said...

If werewolves were around, they'd most definitely need to be shirtless. :)

Tia said...

+ 1 for the shirtless werewolves! Great review! New follower :)

Tia @Falling For Books

None said...

LOL! Walking around without shirts just to save us all of course :)

New follower here.
Please hop by my FF post

Isis Rushdan said...

I love the cover and the title. Thanks for introducing me to another good book.

RFTC Blog said...

Great answer. I love werewolves but I honestly think if I met one I would freak out.

Thanks for stopping by. I am now following you.

Danielle @Ramblings From This Chick

Jo K said...

Werewolves would not be my first choice, but they are definitely cool creatures. old follower:)

Have a great weekend!

Jessica @ a GREAT read said...

Great answer! And review--I totally loved that book!

I chose werewolves as well! Although my mind first went to Clay and then Pietr of course!! And then comes Max!!

Here's my Friday Hops

Have a GREAT weekend!

Old Follower :)

Fireflywishes said...

Werewolves is a popular answer! It would be really interesting to see who was a werewolf in your circle of friends and/or family.. lol

Thanks for stopping by!

April @ My Shelf Confessions

Amy said...

Thank you all for the comment love - you rock!

Have a great weekend and anyone living on the east coast be safe! :)

Alison Can Read said...

Hopping through. Happy bday to your little girl. I like werewolves too. Jacob is a sweetie. I go more for emo wolves like Maggie Stiefvater's Sam.
My Hop

Amy said...

Alison: Thank you for stopping by - Sam is a great character! :)

Lola: Thank you for stopping by!

Jennifer @ BookShelfery said...

YES! Shifters rock...and are generally hot. Super hot.....mmmm. Your shirtless shifter idea is a good one: conserve cotton and energy, just be nekkid.

Thanks for stopping by on the hop!

The Bawdy Book Blog