From Amazon
Product Description:
And the stress of their lives--and the way they understand each other so completely--has also also brought them closer than two siblings would ordinarily be. So close, in fact, that they have fallen in love. Their clandestine romance quickly blooms into deep, desperate love. They know their relationship is wrong and cannot possibly continue. And yet, they cannot stop what feels so incredibly right.
As the novel careens toward an explosive and shocking finale, only one thing is certain: a love this devastating has no happy ending.
My Take:
From the moment I heard about Forbidden, I knew I had to read this book. I'm the kind of person who wants to find stories that force me to step outside of my comfort zone, and this one does it nicely. From the start it should be stated that Forbidden is a book that tackles various themes, and the main one is incest. However, I found myself sympathizing and understanding through the eyes of the characters.
First there is Lochlan, who is such a heartbreaking character right from the very beginning. As the oldest in a family of five, he is the acting father figure since both parents are basically out of the picture. He tries to be strong for them all, but he struggles in school daily from a condition that leaves him in fear of being called upon. His only comfort is his sister Maya, who he looks too for the mother figure in their family.
Like Lochlan, Maya is also heartbreaking in that she tries her best daily to care for her younger siblings and to be there for her brother when it gets to tough for him. They lean on one another, and it's not long before lines get blurred between them. Having pushed anyone else out of their lives, all they have is one another to rely on and too truly love. It seemed fitting that they're love should only grow as it did.
When I got to the final two chapters though I cried, because like the blurb said this story doesn't have a happy ending. This book takes you on an extremely difficult and emotional journey, one that is almost tough to get through only because it's so sad. All in all, I definitely recommend Forbidden for a read or two.
7 comments:
This book seems to provoke really strong reactions in readers. I picked up a copy recently, but haven't read it yet. I'm really wondering what I will think of it as I don't know if I could be comfortable reading about incest. But I want books to take me out of my comfort zone and challenge me to think, too.
sounds like challenging subject manner to do well.
TG: It's really is challenging, but a good read to.
Ed: It definitely is. :)
Rhiannon: I don't think it's the official one, no. LOL - I didn't even notice the spelling errors. I found the video on YouTube and thought it kind of fit. Glad you liked the book too!
I thought this book was amazing. I didn't know what to expect when I started out, but I got really emotionally involved with the story and, like you, wound up crying my broken heart out at the end!
This is on my TBR list! Lots of love for this book. Now that you're raving about it, I should really pick it up. One of these days. So behind on my reading now that school started. Don't know where to begin @_@! Hehe. Great review!
The more reviews I read about this book, the more I want to read it myself. It sounds like an intense read. I liked your enthusiastic review!
Thank you ladies! :)
Post a Comment