Pages

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Review: Waterfall by Lisa T. Bergren

From Amazon
Product Description:

Gabriella has never spent a summer in Italy like this one.
Remaining means giving up all she’s known and loved…
and leaving means forfeiting what she’s come to know…and love itself.


Most American teenagers want a vacation in Italy, but the Bentarrini sisters have spent every summer of their lives with their parents, famed Etruscan scholars, among the romantic hills. Stuck among the rubble of medieval castles in rural Tuscany on yet another hot, dusty archeological site, Gabi and Lia are bored out of their minds… until Gabi places her hand atop a handprint in an ancient tomb and finds herself in fourteenth-century Italy. And worse yet, in the middle of a fierce battle between knights of two opposing forces.

And thus does she come to be rescued by the knight-prince Marcello Falassi, who takes her back to his father’s castle—a castle Gabi has seen in ruins in another life. Suddenly Gabi’s summer in Italy is much, much more interesting. But what do you do when your knight in shining armor lives, literally, in a different world?

My Take:

I loved this book, so much so that I read it in about a day in a half! It would have been sooner if I didn't need sleep, but that I totally need. The story is about two sisters that are working with their mother for the summer in Italy, sounds fun, except they don't get to travel they get to watch their mother dig up ancient artifacts. Not even that gets to be fun for them, because not long ago they're father passed away, and it makes it girls a little recklass. So reckless in fact, that it sends them on a journey into the past after ignoring they're mother's warnings about not touching anything.

Gabi is a great main character, and she's got spunk, fire, and a ton of determination. But she's also smart, and is great at taking everything she comes across is stride. Being seperated from those she loves sends her on a journey that could really change everything for her. I'm loving the spunky kind of girl for the MC lately, and this one totally has it! The way she describes the setting and the people she comes across, I feel like I'm actually seeing it through her eyes. Especially Marcello!

The many people that are brought into the story makes for an exciting and sometimes hilarious read. Marcello is one of the main reasons. His character is the tall dark and brooding type, but he also has a carefree way about him. It definitely sets him apart from most love interests. The way he and Gabi interact is breathtaking and a little heart breaking at times, but I loved every moment of it. I also really liked Luca, and I hope to read more of him with a certain sister!

Overall, this was a very compelling and interesting story that grabbed my attention and kept it. It's full of adventure, life changing circumstances, and a thrill-ride of wonder that will make you want more. I definitely recommend this book for a read or too, and keep the second installment, Cascade, handy you'll want to jump right into the next one! I'm already looking forward to checking out the third book Torrent, and can't wait to find out what is going to happen next!


7 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm glad you liked this book. It was one of my favorite reads of this year.

Christine Rains said...

Another to add to my TBR list! :) Thanks for sharing.

Misha Gerrick said...

Ooh this sounds like something I'd love. Time travel stories are one of my favorites. :-)

Truly Bookish said...

This is one of my favs this year, I love this book. I have some review obligations that are keeping me from Cascade but I am itching to read it!
NC
Truly Bookish

M.J. Fifield said...

Sounds like an interesting book. The cover is really beautiful and I do like time traveling stories.

Amy said...

Thank you all for checking out my review - hope you look into reading it!

Everyone have a great Labor Day weekend! :)

Lisa Tawn Bergren said...

What a lovely review! Thanks for jumping into the River of Time--I'm happy you discovered WATERFALL and will be eager to hear what you think of the next two too!