From Goodreads
In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.
During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves… or it might destroy her.
Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the literary scene with the first book in the Divergent series—dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance
My Take
As soon as I read the synopsis I just knew I had to read this story, and boy am I glad that I did! Divergent is about Tris, a girl that lives in a dystopian future where at sixteen you pick which faction you'll spend the rest of your life in. On Initiation day, she finds out that she is Divergent, but it has to be kept secret because it's not one of the factions that she has to pick. To say that she is shocked by this is an understatement, but it makes for an interesting adventure for her. Now the choice comes down to her, whether she'll either stay with her parents or move on to become someone brave even if it scares her to do it. In an awesome twist of events she chooses to become someone new, and the road she travel on next will definitely change her life forever.
What happens next is Tris moving in with the Dauntless faction, where she will constantly be tested to prove herself. On her first day she meets Four, who turns out to be one of her instructors and one complete bad-ass hottie. He is such a wonderful character and I think I might have fallen for him right along with Tris. He completes her in a way that makes her feel almost normal in her constant chaos. Unfortunately like most things, it's not easy. You can almost feel the tension between the two of them, but he keeps his distance from her since he's basically her teacher. But some friends she makes along the way keep her busy and distracted, not to mention the grueling training she goes through on a daily basis.
Tris's voice and the way she see's things, builds this incredibly believable crazy world. The place Dauntless lives in has this water chasm that from the way she describes it, I could practically feel the water spraying on my face when she feels it. Not to mention, that the way she overcomes everything that is thrown at her is so brave, that I wonder if I would be able to do the same in her situation. I would like to think that I would, but I'm not so sure. Her world gets spiraled out of control when her Divergent nature starts to kick in during the last stages of training and keeping it a secret gets harder and harder. Then of course there is the fact that something huge is going on among the factions, and thanks to her 'condition' she might be the only one to stop it.
By the end I was seriously screaming 'This was the best book EVER! - no joke. I couldn't stop reading it and I didn't want to. There was action, tension, romance, crazy inspiring mystery, and Four - basically it was the best! All in all, Divergent is an intriguing heartwarming story that I definitely recommend for a read or several! Veronica Roth is now one of my favorite writers, and I so can't wait for her next book Insurgent to come out.
What happens next is Tris moving in with the Dauntless faction, where she will constantly be tested to prove herself. On her first day she meets Four, who turns out to be one of her instructors and one complete bad-ass hottie. He is such a wonderful character and I think I might have fallen for him right along with Tris. He completes her in a way that makes her feel almost normal in her constant chaos. Unfortunately like most things, it's not easy. You can almost feel the tension between the two of them, but he keeps his distance from her since he's basically her teacher. But some friends she makes along the way keep her busy and distracted, not to mention the grueling training she goes through on a daily basis.
Tris's voice and the way she see's things, builds this incredibly believable crazy world. The place Dauntless lives in has this water chasm that from the way she describes it, I could practically feel the water spraying on my face when she feels it. Not to mention, that the way she overcomes everything that is thrown at her is so brave, that I wonder if I would be able to do the same in her situation. I would like to think that I would, but I'm not so sure. Her world gets spiraled out of control when her Divergent nature starts to kick in during the last stages of training and keeping it a secret gets harder and harder. Then of course there is the fact that something huge is going on among the factions, and thanks to her 'condition' she might be the only one to stop it.
By the end I was seriously screaming 'This was the best book EVER! - no joke. I couldn't stop reading it and I didn't want to. There was action, tension, romance, crazy inspiring mystery, and Four - basically it was the best! All in all, Divergent is an intriguing heartwarming story that I definitely recommend for a read or several! Veronica Roth is now one of my favorite writers, and I so can't wait for her next book Insurgent to come out.
Check out Divergent by Veronica Roth HERE on Goodreads to give a read and view the awesome trailer below! :)

8 comments:
Is it adult or young adult?
It's a young adult book, but with adult situations.
I really look forward to reading this one! I have it on my ereader and it's slowly creeping its way to being my next read. :) Great review!
truly awesome book!
i'm giving it away for my 300th follower celebration (announcing it tomorrow)
i will reference your review! thanks!
Awesome review! I had the same reaction as you, when I finished it I was like "Yeah, best book I've EVER read" haha.
Cannot wait for the sequel
The Cait Files
I've been reading a lot of positive reviews of this book around the blogosphere. Definitely putting it on my TBR list!
I so very much want to read this book that I want to cry.
I LOVED this book! It was one of the best books I read last year.
Post a Comment