Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday & A to Z Challenge: D - Dystopians

"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that I'm eagerly anticipating.

This week's pre-publication "can't-wait-to-read" selection is:

Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris
Expected publication: April 24th 2012

Two days before the start of her junior year, seventeen-year-old Janelle Tenner is hit by a pickup truck and killed—as in blinding light, scenes of her life flashing before her, and then nothing. Except the next thing she knows, she's opening her eyes to find Ben Michaels, a loner from her high school whom Janelle has never talked to, leaning over her. And even though it isn't possible, she knows—with every fiber of her being—that Ben has somehow brought her back to life.

But her revival, and Ben's possible role in it, is only the first of the puzzles that Janelle must solve. While snooping in her FBI agent father's files for clues about her accident, she uncovers a clock that seems to be counting down to something—but to what? And when someone close to Janelle is killed, she can no longer deny what's right in front of her: Everything that's happened—the accident, the murder, the countdown clock, Ben's sudden appearance in her life—points to the end of life as she knows it. And as the clock ticks down, she realizes that if she wants to put a stop to the end of the world, she's going to need to uncover Ben's secrets—and keep from falling in love with him in the process.

From debut author Elizabeth Norris comes this shattering novel of one girl's fight to save herself, her world, and the boy she never saw coming.

The Blogging from A to Z Challenge is a month long event hosted by a group of amazing folks. The Challenge is beginning April First with a topic themed on something with the letter A, then on April second another topic with the letter B as the theme, and so on until you finish on April thirtieth with the theme based on the letter Z.  It doesn't even have to be a word--it can be a proper noun, the letter used as a symbol, or the letter itself.  The theme of the day is the letter scheduled for that day.

 My theme - My word of the day will express things I love most about Young Adult Books and why!
Dystopians

Out of the many different brands of genre, one that seems to stick out a lot in young adult recently is dystopians.  I'm absolutely fascinated with the world building and how each one takes a certain step into the unknown and what the future could possibly end up as. Plus, I love the way there is always a hero or heroine that overcomes everything and finds a little romance along the way!

Divergent by Veronica Roth (Read)

Legend by Marie Lu (Reading Now)


Blood Red Road by Moira Young (Reading Next)
I was caught by the covers of these books, and instantly snared by the descriptions. These have it all; intensely captivating action, devastatingly emotional romance, and a crazy thrill-ride that I seriously can't wait to consume. I am forever a fan of Veronica Roth and look forward to reading everything in the Divergent series. And can't wait to finally indulge in both Legend and Blood Red Road!
 What's YOUR 'waiting on' pick? Have a favorite dystopian book?

16 comments:

Patricia said...

Old follower hopping through! Unraveling has been picked quote often today! I really am excited about it, too.

Patricia // My WOW

Kyra Lennon said...

I know the Unraveling part isn't to do with the A-Z challenge, but once I read the synopsis, I was too excited to comment on the other parts lol! It sounds amazing!

Anonymous said...

I'm not a fan of dystopian novels but I have read the odd one or two in the past, mainly because of literature courses I have been on. The best/worst one was The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Attwood which made my blood boil as I read it! I realise that good literature should effect some sort of response from the reader, but I don't really enjoy being wound up by books like that. I respect the authors who have the imagination and the creativity to come up with the scenarios to write, but for me as a reader they leave me cold (or boiling hot?!).

Great post :)

Unknown said...

I love dystopians. It's a genre I've just discovered and I can't get enough of them. I'm eager for the second installment of Divergent. I've already pre-ordered it.

Great "d" topic.

Michelle
www.michelle-pickett.com/blog

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes. I'm looking forward to UNRAVELING. I don't read lots of YA, but I do read some. This one came to my notice a while back and it sounded really interesting. Only a little while longer. LOL

Jenni said...

Unravelling looks great, I can't wait for it either. Good Pick.

My WoW

Wendy Reid said...

Hi Amy. I was expecting to see a post in support of the Insecure Writers Support Group but maybe you didn't get around to it yet. I will sign up for emails and look for it later! You have a nice blog. :-)

Traci @ The Reading Geek said...

Great pick! Unraveling sounds so good! I can't wait to read it! Good list of dystopians also, I loved all of them!

Thanks for stopping by my post!

seattlegal said...

I loved Divergent and enjoyed Blood Red Road. I can't wait for second books in both series!

heathercim.wordpress.com

Sari Webb said...

Yay, another dystopian post! Love that we included two of the same books. Great minds. ;)

Reve @ YA Books said...

I'm super, super, super excited for Unraveling! I have a weak spot for dystopian books, and Unraveling justs sounds like something I would enjoy immensely. Great pick!

Followed you :).

My WoW + Giveaway

Carrie-Anne said...

My favorite dystopias are the classic Brave New World and the criminally-underrated We, by Yevgeniy Ivanovich Zamyatin. We has some similarities to BNW, and is also notable for being just about the most un-Russian Russian novel there is. Apart from a handful of references and stereotypes, there's absolutely nothing in it to suggest it was written by a Russian and presumably takes place there. It's also a very short novel, the kind you could read it only a day. After the A to Z challenge, I may repost my old review of We on my blog.

Anonymous said...

I love dystopian stories. Just wish I had time to read more. I did read Hunger Games and will read the second book in the series starting nest week.

John Doe said...

Dropping by via Vanessa Hancock and the A-Z Challenge. I am just getting around to knowing what a dystopian book is. It is a genre that is groing on me.
Good luck with the rest of the letters!

Alison Can Read said...

I'm not a big fan of dystopia, but Unraveling does sound great. I did love The Hunger Games. My all time fav though is The Giver.

Christine Rains said...

I still haven't gotten my hands on Divergent yet. Blood Red Road was awesome, and I love The Hunger Games.