Pages

Thursday, April 5, 2012

My Book Boyfriend #4: Peregrine & A to Z Challenge: E - Emotion

A weekly meme, hosted by The Unread Reader, in which we swoon over boys in books!

This week's book boyfriend is
Peregrine

Peregrine (Perry) is Portrayed by Colton Haynes

Facts about Peregrine:

He's an outsider or savage according to the people living in Reverie.
He skin is as dark as his leather pants, his hair a blond Medusa’s snarl. Tattoos coiled around his arms. He had the reflective eyes of an animal. 
His brother Vale is Blood-Lord of the Tide Tribe where he lives, causing awkwardness between the brothers since Perry disagrees with everything.
Has a close connection to his nephew Talon through being a Scire.
He is very determined, brave, loyal, and trustworthy when it comes to doing what's right.


Favorite Lines / Scenes:


“She looked up. “A world of nevers under a never sky.”
She fit in well then, he thought. A girl who never shut up.” 


***

“He watched as she pressed the berry to her lower lip. He kept looking at her mouth after she'd done it. He knew he should look away, but he couldn't. "Right. Good. If there's no stinging, you'd put it to your tongue."

Perry shot to his feet before he finished the words, nearly tripping over himself. He ran a hand over his head, feeling skitty, like he needed to laugh or run or do something. He picked up a stone and tossed it into the creek, trying to get the image of her tasting the berry out of his mind.”


***

“In the afternoon, they stopped to eat on a rocky outcrop. Perry brushed a kiss on her cheek while she was chewing, and she learned that it was the loveliest thing to be kissed for no reason, even while chewing food. It brightened the woods, and the never sky, and everything.”  




From the first appearance of Perry I couldn't help but become addicted to him. I loved that Under The Never Sky split the story up between his perspective and Aria's, it really helped me as a reader to get to know him better. While reading, I easily kept picturing Colton Haynes as him (I blame my recent viewing of season one of Teen Wolf) with blonde hair of course. Colton does the whole intense brooding pretty well while still coming off as caring, which is totally Perry! So yeah, Perry is definitely my book boyfriend...this week!

The Blogging from A to Z Challenge is a month long event hosted by a group of amazing folks. The Challenge is beginning April First with a topic themed on something with the letter A, then on April second another topic with the letter B as the theme, and so on until you finish on April thirtieth with the theme based on the letter Z.  It doesn't even have to be a word--it can be a proper noun, the letter used as a symbol, or the letter itself.  The theme of the day is the letter scheduled for that day.


My theme - My word of the day will express things I love most about Young Adult Books and why!


Emotion 

When choosing something to read, I like to find something that will make me feel for the characters in the story. Whether it be sadness, happiness, or just completely off my rocker - I love feeling connected to a story that will make me think about it for a long time after finishing. One that will stay with me for a while is The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. This is a story that even though I cried through a good portion of it, I still absolutely loved it and would read it again and again. Rather than ramble on and on about the reasons why, you can read my review HERE.

Who's YOUR book boyfriend? Ever read something that stuck with you? 

21 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

Emotion is the most important ingredient in a book for me. I think that is why I am crazy about the Harry Potter books. J.K Rowling made Harry so real that you couldn't help but feel everyone of his tragedies and triumphs with him.

Jennifer said...

Under the Never Sky wasn't my favorite book, but I enjoyed Perry's character. I'm intrigued to see what happens next!

Jennifer @ Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews
http://feministfairytalereviews.blogspot.com/2012/04/my-book-boyfriend-32-vane.html

Rachel said...

Hi Amy! I stopped by from the A-Z Challenge. I'm Rachel. *waves* I haven't read THE FAULT IN OUR STARS yet but I've heard its really emotional. I actually own it and lent it to a friend and haven't seen it since. Whoops, lol!!! I also have yet to read UNDER THE NEVER SKY. I wasn't too interested in it, and I think because I am kind of over dystopian stuff, but the pictures you posted of your fan Perry makes me want to read it. He looks soooo hot!

My book boyfriend of the week is Will Parry from THE SUBTLE KNIFE/THE AMBER SPYGLASS by Philip Pullman. He is an intelligent, stubborn dark haired guy who will risk separating from his true love to save humanity. Now talk about a hero, lol! :-)

Erin W. said...

I enjoyed Under the Never Sky and Perry's character. Looking forward to the sequel.

Anyway, I completely agree. Emotion is key to any storyline.

Prangon said...

Peregrine is such a unique name! And Colton Haynes is absolute yumness. Nom nom ;)

Lis said...

I haven't read yet Under the never sky, but I'm sure I'll do it soon. I love your pick, this guy is really handsome. And your quotes are excelent.
Thanks for sharing!!!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I need to swoon over some women in books! I'll start with Eowyn from LOTR...

Christine Rains said...

My book boyfriend of the week is Syn from Born of Fire by Sherrilyn Kenyon. Lots of hard emotions in that book too.

Andrea @ The Busy Bibliophile said...

I haven't read that one, but it's on my list! It sounds like there might be some swoon-worthy moments...

Anonymous said...

Great topic for "e" - emotion is definitely a vital component in books. Regardless of genre or story, it's the emotions that tie us to the characters and make us care enough to finish the read.

Unknown said...

Great post. Connecting with the characters is so important. I love the feeling of living in their world with them. And I know what you mean about thinking about them long after you've finished the book. One book that stuck with me is "Olivia and Jai." It's one I can read over and over.

Michelle :)
www.michelle-pickett-com

Unknown said...

I like the last pic the best.

Mimi Valentine said...

PERRY! <3 Oh my sweet goodness, Amy, I don't know how you always manage to find the perfect boys to represent my book boyfriends (because I can never manage to do it LOL), but you did!! That guys is PERFECT for Perry -- he plays the whole serious and tortured yet adorable part perfectly! I think I'm in love with him :')

And I still really need to read The Fault in Our Stars, especially with how much everyone keeps recommending it to me! Will definitely start it soon!

Thanks so much for sharing, Amy! :) <3

Jemi Fraser said...

Nice! For me, reading and writing is all about the emotions! Best part ever :)

Tara Tyler said...

you so crazy on those ya boys!
and i love a book that makes me feel somethng too =)

ETowns said...

Stopping by from the challenge. Emotion is soooo important in writing. But, uhm, he doesn't match the description. His skin is most certainly NOT the color of any leather pants. Okay, I digress. Great post.

Doreen McGettigan said...

I love reading a book that causes me to feel emotion. I just finished reading Friday Lunch and fell for the character Michael.

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

How did I not know about Colton Haynes before?! That boy is fine!!! LOL

I've heard a lot about Perry and his animalistic side. RAWR!

Nea said...

I really need to read Under the Never Sky! And I love your toughts about emotions!! That's maybe one of the reasons I haven't started Under the Never Sky yet.. I am waiting for the perfect emotions and perfect time to read it :) ;) Awesome post Amy :)

Joie said...

aww I absolutely loved Perry! I can't wait for the next book, either!
Oh, and Colton Haynes makes a GREAT Perry!

Anonymous said...

Im reading this book now and god he is cute! I cant wait to finish it so i can agree more! Great pick and thanks for stopping by!