Pages

Thursday, May 3, 2012

My Book Boyfriend #8: Christopher Merrick

A weekly meme, hosted by The Unread Reader, in which we swoon over boys in books!

This week's book boyfriend is
Christopher Merrick
from the Storm by Brigid Kemmerer


 Christopher (Chris) portrayed by Chace Crawford


Facts about Chris:

He is seventeen years old
Has twin eighteen year old older brothers Gabriel and Nickolas, and a brother Michael in his twenties
He is a water Elemental and is still learning control
Is quiet and reserved, but rocks the witty sarcastic humorous attitude 
Prefers to not get involved with confrontations unless someone he cares for is in trouble, then he's VERY protective 


Favorite Lines / Scene:

“You're probably thinking I owe you my life."[Chris]
"No." she [Becca] snapped.
"Just sixty bucks."
"You charge for the hero act?" [Chris]”
― Brigid Kemmerer, Storm 
***
She stared at Chris, as if her water bottle had somehow morphed into a gun, or a switchblade, or anything more intimidating than a plastic cylinder that read Aquafina. 
“Becky,” he said. “Get in the car.” 
“Becca,” she corrected automatically. Her voice was breathy, her hands still clenched in fists. 
“For god’s sake—” His eyes slid left. “Just get in the car.” 
She scrambled into the driver’s seat, her hands fumbling for the seat belt. Just when she wondered if he was going to get in, he yanked the back door open and almost fell into the car. 
“Drive.” 
Her foot smacked the accelerator and the car shot forward, swerving toward the building. Her heart beat on the back of her tongue, and she yanked the wheel. The car fishtailed before straightening out. Chris swore. “Drive without killing me.” He coughed. “I should have clarified.”


***


Becca snapped her head up. Chris Merrick stood there, beside Quinn, holding a lunch tray. He wore an unbuttoned plaid shirt over a blue tee. The swelling around his eye had subsided, but the bruising along his cheekbone was downright spectacular. His hair barely covered the scabbing at his temple. Actually, he looked surprisingly good, considering the damage he’d taken. The shirt made his eyes look bluer, sharp and intuitive and fixed on her face. 
Her heart kicked. “Um,” she said. “Hi?” 
He dropped the loaded tray beside Quinn, then swung a leg over the bench to sit down. Every person at the table stared at him. He picked up a fry, glancing around. 
He offered the physics kids half a smile. “ ’Sup.” 
Quinn dragged her eyes back to Becca’s. “Why is Chris Merrick sitting next to me?” 
Chris popped the cap on his soda. “You know I can hear you, right?”

***

Her key slid into the lock, but the door refused to give. She made a frustrated noise and slapped it with the heel of her hand. Then it started to rain. She swore. 
“Great.” 
Chris was still right behind her. She heard his breathing, could feel his presence like a weight at her back. Rain touched her cheek and rolled down her neck, finding a path under the neckline of her shirt to trail along her shoulder. The water felt warm, like a finger tracing the side of her face. The thought made her shiver, and she swiped it away. Chris reached out and took hold of the door handle. It lifted and opened without protest. Figures. 
She turned to look at him. Her breathing felt a little quick. “Thanks.” 
His eyes were dark. He didn’t seem to mind the rain on his face. “You’re welcome.”

***

Chris Merrick was kissing her. His hands were buried in her hair, his palms burning against her cheeks. Sand shifted below her body and the stars danced above, bright like his eyes when he drew back to look at her. Then he was kissing her again, his face descending to press to hers. But his mouth was rough, aggressive. She wanted to whimper, but his breath rushed across her tongue.
She couldn’t move. He drew back, and then his hands were on her chest, a heavy weight over her heart. “Goddamn it, Becca.” He pushed. “Breathe.” 
She did one better. She coughed and spit water all over herself. 
He swore again and rolled her to her side, and she coughed up what felt like a gallon of the Chesapeake Bay. By the time she was done, she’d made it to her knees, her forearms pressed into the sand, hair pooled around her, her forehead braced on her knuckles. 
Chris was kneeling beside her, the sand beneath his knees gray in the moonlight. He didn’t say anything, but she could hear his breathing, rough and almost shaking.

When it came to picking out a book boyfriend this week, Chris was an easy choice - he simply had me from the very beginning! His character is charming, hilarious, and very protective - all good book boyfriend traits - and I can't wait to read more about him in the sequel Spark. As for imagery, it took me a while to find a fit for him on what I envisioned. Chace Crawford is kind of perfect for him though, they both have that gorgeous quiet bravery that can be addictive, and nice eyes too! 

Who's YOUR book boyfriend?

12 comments:

Carla said...

Ah yes, Chris! The Merrick brothers are great, aren't they?

Michael Merrick is my book boyfriend this week. :D

hbjgvhuogyihpo said...

Ahh! This sounds amazing. I need to read this book. Great pick!

"> My Book Boyfriend

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Damn. He's sexy.

Wordsmith Publicity said...

He's a cutie!

Lesley said...

I love my book boyfriends to be funny and protective too, and pictures of Chase just get me every time:)

Kristina said...

I can't wait to read this book! Loved this post you wrote. Chris sounds HOTT!!

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

I've been hearing so much about this protective older brother!!

And he sounds like such a funny guy too. I love that. If only I could figure out a way for him to give me a little CPR. LOL

Chace Crawford is gorgeous. Excellent choice.

Prangon said...

Dude, a family full of brothers makes Chris boyfriend worthy :)
And Chase is such a eye candy *sigh*

Lis said...

I love your pick!!!
Chris and Chace, both are adorables, can't wait to read this book, those quotes are really amazing!!!

Sorry for being a little late! ;)

Joie said...

aaah! Thanks so much for posting this because I swear, the second after I read those quotes, I immediately added this book on goodreads! Needless to say, this was a great pick!

Megan said...

I love Chace Crawford! I can't wait to get this book, I'm so excited to read it. Awesome choice! Happy reading! :)

Misha Gerrick said...

Oooh he sounds yummy! ^_^