When is the last time you read a history book? Historical biography? You know, something that took place in the past but was REAL.
I feel horrible admitting this, but it's been a while since I read anything non-fiction or even actual history related. Most of my reading lately has all been paranormal romance. Though, I have been reading a few historical romances....does that count? I do love the concept of relating to actual characters and knowing what they went through was real. It would definitely hold the reader in to want to know more, even if the ending is already predetermined.
Speaking of my love of paranormal romance with a little history thrown in, here is my Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare Review:
*Warning - Possible Spoilers*
From Amazon
Product Description:
Magic is dangerous--but love is more dangerous still.
Magic is dangerous--but love is more dangerous still.
When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.
Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.
Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by--and torn between--two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length...everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world...and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.
My Take:
Clockwork Angel is the first novel in The Infernal Devices series, Cassandra Clare's prequel to her Mortal Instruments series. This one focuses on Tessa Gray, who finds herself alone in 1800's London with the power to Change into anyone she wants. She finds refuge with Will and Jem, as well as an array of other characters. Tessa is determined to get back her brother who has gone missing, and her new friends want nothing more than to figure out why Tessa has this unheard of ability and how they can defeat this new villain, the Magister.
Clockwork Angel is a great read, for many reasons. I personally love the time period and the location. The characters are extremely interesting, and Clare isn't afraid to take chances because it is a prequel series. She kills off some characters, and turns other characters into traitors and it definitely pays off. The plot is interesting and fast paced and very easily drawn into.
A difference in this series that wasn't in Mortal Instruments is that this one lets us see even more of the prejudices that the Shadowhunters had for the Downworlders. They kill the vampires without a second thought, and then talk about how the Clave is needed to keep order and that the vampires are good only as informants. In The Mortal Instruments series, the reader can't see the prejudices as clearly, but it's extremely apparent in this series.
Tessa is a wonderful main character because she is struggling with physical and mental problems. She is trying to find her brother in a strange city with people that she's only just met, while also trying to figure out what exactly she is. She's forced to reevaluate her entire past. She is very passionate about things, while she is clever and funny, and not afraid to get her hands dirty. Then of course there are the boys, or I should say boy. While I can't choose between my admiration of Will and Jem, it has to be said that Will has eerily similar mannerisms of another well loved Shadowhunter. I won't say who or why, but those that have read Mortal Instruments know who I am referring too. It's not a bad thing either, it just makes Will that much more liked and interesting!
Clare is a fantastic writer that never fails to leave a mystery at the end of her books. She throws in several twists that the reader never sees coming, but still leaves room for more surprises in the next book. I for one want to know what is up with Will. I don't understand what his past is, and I really want to know. All I know, is that I can't wait for Clockwork Prince to be released this December.
All in all, I definitely recommend this book for a read or several. I also suggest that you try to have a clear schedule when going into reading this one, because I just didn't want to put it down. I wound up reading it in a day and a half, but it could have easily been under twelve hours. It's that good!
Don't you just want to read it now? I almost want to check it out again, just for Will and Jem. Who I might add are very difficult to choose from!

6 comments:
I was wondering if Historical Romance was considered history, but since they're normally fiction, I'd say not ;)
I can't wait to read Clockwork Angel--it's in my TBR pile right now! Great review!
My BTT (if you're interested) is here.
This book is in my TBR pile... one day.
There are several historical romances that are well-researched...I think that they might count, especially if they center around a well-known event.
Here is my answer!
Good point.
http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/08/booking-through-thursday_25.html
Both fiction and non can be good depending on topic and author. I can't wait to read Clockwork!
Here's Mine: House Millar - BTT
Aine
Definitely on my TBR list! Thanks for the review.
I read a lot of historical fiction but not much actual non fiction.
I've been meaning to read Clockwork Angel. Glad to hear that you enjoyed it!
Post a Comment