Pages

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Review: Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick

From Amazon
Product Description:

It could happen tomorrow . . .
 
An electromagnetic pulse flashes across the sky, destroying every electronic device, wiping out every computerized system, and killing billions.
Alex hiked into the woods to say good-bye to her dead parents and her personal demons. Now desperate to find out what happened after the pulse crushes her to the ground, Alex meets up with Tom—a young soldier—and Ellie, a girl whose grandfather was killed by the EMP.

For this improvised family and the others who are spared, it’s now a question of who can be trusted and who is no longer human.

My Take:

As a HUGE fan of zombies and horror, I couldn't wait to check out this book. And Ashes didn't disappoint. The story revolves around the main character Alex, who finds herself in the type of situation that no one would ever expect to be caught in. While she isn't alone in her plight, it certainly makes for a fast and engaging read.

I really believe that Alex is a pretty awesome, but who wouldn't be when having to deal with what she does? I know I talk tough sometimes, but if I really got planted in a place with zombie type things chasing me down and trying to infect me? I'm sure I'd roll into the fetal position and just wait to get eaten; not very brave I know. Alex isn't like that. Even while losing people, and trying to make connections, she remains tough. It's not without it's hard calls though.

As for the others like Tom and Ellie, they just try to survive like any other person. Something that I liked and don't see much of, is the fact that the infected aren't the only problem these people have to face. Evil and badness can still come from those around you when you least expect it, and this story explores that.

Ashes is an intense, engrossing book that kept me guessing through the entire thing. As the first book in a trilogy, I can't wait for book two and three to come out because I so want to know what happened next! All in all I highly recommend Ashes for a read or two.

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Well, that's why it rocked - the main character is an Alex!
Looking forward to your picks for the blogfest on Monday.

Mimi Valentine said...

WOW! This book sounds so good! I love super-intense books that keep you guessing the whole way through, so you can bet I'll be going out to get my hands on a copy of Ashes! :)

Awesome review, Amy!

Amy said...

Alex: LOL - I know right! Awesome blogfest! :)

Mimi: Thank you! This one is definitely worth having a hard copy. I might just get one to have it again when I go back for a re-read!

Katja Weinert said...

"...not all the monsters are zombies" how true!

Great review. I just finished reading this book and I keep coming back to the thought: "Poor Chris".

Amy said...

Thank you! I know right, me too. I can't wait for the next one.