Pages

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Teaser Tuesdays & Eve by Anna Carey Review

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
My Teasers:

"I didn’t know which was worse: to be killed by some brute animal or be taken off with a wild Neanderthal on horseback. The boy reached out his hand." 


Pg. 51, Eve by Anna Carey.


From Goodreads

The year is 2032, sixteen years after a deadly virus—and the vaccine intended to protect against it—wiped out most of the earth’s population. The night before eighteen-year-old Eve’s graduation from her all-girls school she discovers what really happens to new graduates, and the horrifying fate that awaits her.

Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust...and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.


My Take

When I first read the summary for Eve, I knew I just had to read it right away. And I am so glad that I did! The story takes place in the future where more than half of the population has been wiped out by a plague. Eve is one of the survivors living in a school for girls that readies them for a bright future in the city, only it doesn't take long for her to realize that it's a lie. She sets out on a journey for freedom and comes across the most unexpected thing she could imagine; a boy.

As the narrator, Eve has a refreshing naive innocence that is addicting and hilarious at times. She is so new to the outside world that everything comes as a shock to her, even though she is the smartest girl in her class. I loved her brave nature though, because even when most things terrified her she never voluntarily left those in her company. In the end, she has to make a tough decision one that no girl her age should make, can love conquer all? 


Caleb is first introduced as a wild boy on horseback that rescues Eve early on, but I knew right away that he was more than he appeared. Not only does he save her, but he tests her too, in a way that she finds most annoying. Not only is he described as a rugged hottie, but he also comes off as a strong endearing character that I loved to read. Especially the parts when they were around one another. Together they share a world that Eve never knew about or ever thought about really. This all had a very Peter Pan and the lost boys feel to it and I loved every minute of it.


As for the side characters, there were so many of them that it was hard to choose any favorites, so I love them all. From Arden with her angry girl attitude, Benny and Silas with their adorable little boy quirkiness, to all the other boys that are just plain sweet with their protectiveness and courage. This books was filled with spirit and empathy in the writing, that I didn't want to put it down until I finished. It has adventure, love, mistrust, and laughter all rolled into an amazing read. I can say without question that I definitely recommend this one for a read or several!

Check out Eve by Anna Carey HERE on Goodreads to give a read and view the awesome trailer below! :)

 

26 comments:

Christine Rains said...

I've not heard of this. It sounds great! Thanks for sharing.

CYP @ A Bookalicious Story said...

Lol, great teaser! So glad you enjoyed it! I loved the cover for EVE, but was very hesitant to read it because I'm not that into Dystopian books.. But you make me want to read it! I love my heroines brave and oh do I love my heroes on horsebacks.;) Haha, great pick!

Anonymous said...

Great teaser!!! I loved Eve, happy you are enjoyed it!

Anonymous said...

I'll take the neanderthal.

Pamela said...

I'd definitely grab the hand, even if it belong to a wild Neanderthal on horseback. Especially if he was good-looking which I bet he is ;). Great teaser! I can't wait to read this.

Feel free to check out my teaser here.

Heather said...

Sounds intriguing. Thanks for visiting!

Cherie Reich said...

I think I would accept his hand. :)

Great teaser! I've seen this novel around the blogs here and there. I'll have to keep it in mind.

Kristin Aragon said...

I enjoyed your teaser and loved the review. I have been unsure about this book but will probably read it sometime. LOL.


Thanks for hopping by Better Read Than Dead.

My Teaser Tuesday

~Kristin

Unknown said...

Hmm... is the neanderthal good-looking? Cos then I'd totally pick him over being "killed by some brute animal"!

Vicky @ A Backpack Full of Adventures said...

Great teaser! I haven't read Eve yet but it's on my Kindle so I will :)
Thanks for sharing and for stopping by! xxx

Jessica @ a GREAT read said...

Verrrry interesting!

Here's my Teaser

Have a GREAT day!

Old Follower :)

Anonymous said...

Lol, definitely a good teaser! Thanks for stopping by!

Mimi Valentine said...

I really liked this book too!! :) Dystopian is one of my favourite genres right now so I was drawn to this one like you, and I honestly ADORED Eve (the book and the character)! I loved the way she was with the kids -- so sweet!

Awesome review and teaser, Amy! I'm glad you liked this one as much as I did! :)

Aeicha @ Word Spelunking said...

Great teaser!
I still need to read this book. I just love the cover!

Thanks for stopping by :)

Anonymous said...

I would choose the option that lets her live.

Paige said...

Lol i so cannot wait to read this book! Here's my teaser:

http://paigebradish1996.blogspot.com/2011/12/teaser-tuesday.html

Yvonne said...

Sounds like a great book!

Fireflywishes said...

LOL nice teaser! I don't know what one I'd choose..I guess I'd choose the one that didn't mean certain death LOL I hope the neanderthal isn't too bad, sounds better than "killed by some brute animal"though!

I hope you love the book :D
Thanks for stopping by my blog:)

April @ My Shelf Confessions

Demijel said...

Oooh, been wondering if I should read this! Sounds good though. Great teaser! Thank you for sharing! Happy reading!

Demi @ Breaking Bookshelves

Natasha said...

Great teaser! I'm going to check this out. :)

I found you through TT! I now follow:)

Here's mine:
http://www.bookmarkyourthoughts.com/2011/12/teaser-tuesday-december-6th.html

Anonymous said...

Very cool teaser.... will have to check out this book:)

Jan said...

Very interesting synopsis and review, thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Great teaser! I can't wait to read Eve.
Thanks for sharing and for stopping by The Bookish Babes!

Amy said...

Hey guys - thank you for stopping by and checking out my tease! Hope everyone's week goes well! :)

Laya said...

Can't be that neanderthal if he can ride a horse, so I'll take my chances :D Great teaser!

Thanks for checking out mine! :)

Anonymous said...

I really want to read this! Great teaser. :)

http://jaimeliredeslivres.blogspot.com/2011/12/teaser-tuesday-10-girl-interrupted.html