Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

My Book Boyfriend #5: Blue Valentine & A to Z Challenge: K - Killer Attitudes

A weekly meme, hosted by The Unread Reader, in which we swoon over boys in books!

This week's book boyfriend is
Blue Valentine
from the Kill Me Softly by Sarah Cross


Blue Valentine portrayed by Nick Roux

Facts about Blue:

He's seventeen years old
Has spiky blue hair and blue eyebrows to match
Prefers to wear ripped jeans with writing on them, a spiked leather cuff on one wrist, a miniature chainsaw pendant around his neck, and a metal barbell pierces his left eyebrow. 
He has an older brother named Felix who he doesn't get along with
Lives on his own at his family run casino where his father is always away on business and mother abandoned
Is best friend with Freddie a wealthy preppy boy and a plethora of others like him
He has a penchant for pushing people away and hiding behind a rude snarky attitude


Favorite Lines / Scenes:

“The whole morning was absurd. She'd never felt so angry, or aggressive, in her entire life. She didn't normally want to hit people, or even yell at them - because normally you could reason with people. And if you couldn't, you could avoid them. But Blue was impossible. He was so rude and belligerent and ... relentless about it.”
― Sarah Cross, Kill Me Softly 
 ***
“Blue smiled. He had one of those devastatingly charming smiles that made you hate him even more when you noticed it. It was like he was fighting dirty.”  

***

“Freddie dropped down beside them, distressed. "Let go of her, Blue; that looks really bad."

"Feel free to stop him," Mira said, "instead of frowning at me like a sad puppy."


"Hey!" Freddie said, looking like a sadder puppy.


"I'm not going to molest you," Blue said.


"You're molesting my wrist," Mira said. "I don't want you touching me."


"I didn't want you to knee me in the lungs, so I guess we're even.”  

***



“You're safe with me, Mira. And I'm safe with you."

He kissed her again to prove it. And when the clock struck one - that lone, ominous tone hovering in the dark - they were still kissing. Her razor blade had snagged his shirt and nicked his chest, and they'd ended up lying in the grass, hidden inside a shadow, ignoring their names whenever someone called them. He traced her mouth again and again, like he still couldn't believe it was real.


There would always be a part of him she couldn't know. A secret place where his heartbreak was stored, where lost innocence and regret filled the air like smoke. She had no desire to open that door ... but she didn't know if that would change one day. If the key would tempt her, if a fairy would manipulate her or she would just be curious. But she had to believe she could be strong enough to resist. That what she wanted - what they both wanted - mattered more than the path that had been laid out for them.


She let her hand slip under his shirt to touch the heart mark on his back, and he brought her other hand to his lips, and kissed every finger he'd entrusted with the key. He was so much more than his curse, and she was so much more than the girl who could betray him. Together ... they could be anything.” 

***

“Mira, I'm about to be naked," Blue said as he whipped off his belt and tossed it on the floor. "So watch out. Well, in my underwear."

"I've seen you in your bathing suit," Mira said. "It's the same thing."


"It is not the same thing," Blue said. "When it's accompanied by seventies porn music, it's an X-rated strip show." Blue yanked off his shirt. "Freddie, you're kind of slow on the uptake.
Eine kleine porn music, please."

Freddie scrunched his forehead in distaste. "I don't want to plug my guitar in just so I can play some bow-chicka-wow-wow accompaniment to your strip show.


Mira laughed. "Bow-chicka-what was that, Freddie?”


After reading Kill Me Softly I knew that I just had to make Blue one of my weekly book boyfriends, he simply had me with snarky attitude. His character is one of my favorites and he totally made the book for me. I love it when a strong character can make everyone one around them shine and that is what he does! While reading, I could help picturing Nick Roux as Blue, you might recognize him for ABC Family's Jane by Design as Billy. Add a little blue hair and he'd be perfect - they even dress the same!   

The Blogging from A to Z Challenge is a month long event hosted by a group of amazing folks. The Challenge is beginning April First with a topic themed on something with the letter A, then on April second another topic with the letter B as the theme, and so on until you finish on April thirtieth with the theme based on the letter Z.  It doesn't even have to be a word--it can be a proper noun, the letter used as a symbol, or the letter itself.  The theme of the day is the letter scheduled for that day.


My theme - My word of the day will express things I love most about Young Adult Books and why!



Killer Attitudes 


One of my favorite things in regarding book boyfriends is there killer attitudes, especially when they are combined with a snarky whit with a dash of jerky sweetness. Young adult books are great when making the book boyfriends coming across as bad boys that are ultimately good - which is my absolutely favorite to read. Adult books are pretty good with the killer attitudes with their book boyfriends too, but they are a little more rough around the edges, so for me young adult attitudes are right up my alley. One example is Blue Valentine from Kill Me Softly by Sarah Cross, as seen above as this weeks Book Boyfriend. 

Who's YOUR book boyfriend/girlfriend? Have a favorite character with a killer attitude?  

12 comments:

Wordsmith Publicity said...

"It is not the same thing," Blue said. "When it's accompanied by seventies porn music, it's an X-rated strip show." Blue yanked off his shirt. "Freddie, you're kind of slow on the uptake. Eine kleine porn music, please."
I LOVE this!!!! Sounds like a keeper! I'm going to add this to my TBR.

Nea said...

He has me with the snarky attitude too!! I need this book!! He's perfect :) :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

My book's dude certainly had attitude!

Jennifer said...

Blue sounds awesome! I'll have to check this book out based on those quotes alone. Great choice! Thanks for visiting my blog!

Jennifer @ Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

hahahaha! Yes, 70's porn music makes all the difference. Blue's sense of humor would totally win me over!

Lis said...

I really want to read this book. Sounds like something I'd love to read.
Great quotes!!!

Mimi Valentine said...

Bluueeeee! <33 I love his name, I love his attitude, I love his snark, and I LOVE the way he dresses! (Oh, and how you said that he has jerky sweetness LOL) I just want to meet him so badly, it's probably not healthy! :') I've been debating whether or not I should buy this or wait until my library finally decides to get some copies of these for weeks, but now I think that it should be a buy. Your Blue-loving is making me SO excited to read it! :)

Absolutely LOVE your book boyfriend pick for this week, Amy! Soon you might have to battle me for Blue ;) <3

Unknown said...

I was unsure if I wanted to read this book but now I do! Blue has me totally intrigued! And he is definitely funny and snarky. But that kissing scene oh my! Very hot! Also loved the stripping scene. Great quotes and pictures. Thanks for visiting My Book Boyfriend!

Jade said...

I'm loving this guys sarcasm and sense of humor. Definitely a winner for me!

Trisha said...

I love characters with attitude. They make for great entertainment!

I think I need to add this book to my TBR too!

Joie said...

oh how i love boys with snark! Great pick! Thanks for sharing

Farhana said...

Just added this to my TBR pile! Awesome post! The premise reminds me of the tv show Once Upon A Time, which I love!