Pages

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Teaser Tuesdays & Shine (Shade, #3) by Jeri Smith-Ready Review

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
My Teaser

“His soul's fabric was weaving itself with mine. I loved the frayed ends where it came unraveled, and I loved the strength at its firm, solid center.

I loved every thread.”

― Pg. 405, Jeri Smith-Ready, Shine

From Goodreads

In this dramatic conclusion to the Shade trilogy, Aura and Zachary’s relationship sizzles as the secrets of the Shift are revealed.

Life can change in an instant, and no one understands that better than Aura. It’s been almost a year since her boyfriend tragically died. She’s finally letting go of Logan’s violet-hued ghost, but not her search to uncover the truth about her past.

As the first in a generation that can see ghosts, Aura is convinced she has a connection to the Shift. She’s trusted Zachary, ever patient and ever by her side, with all that she knows. But when the government threatens his life in an attempt to learn Aura’s secrets, she will stop at nothing to protect herself and the one she loves...even if that means betraying her own heart.

My Take

I LOVED this book! SO MUCH! Seriously! This is the best way for a trilogy to close! I basically read it in about a day - it was THAT good! To be honest, when I first heard about the Shade trilogy I almost skipped it, but I am so glad that I changed my mind. Then of course after reading Shade and Shift, I was sort of leery of reading Shine without my favorite rocker boy Logan (who is basically all that is awesome!) - but I so NEEDED to find out what happens in the world of Aura. So lets explain shall we? Okay, so the trilogy is about Aura, a girl who lives in a world where children for last almost eighteen years have been seeing ghosts on a daily basis - since the Shift. Sounds fun, except they are the only ones to help the needy ghosts pass on and some of them aren't so nice. Plus, since the everyday world is aware of them, there are all sorts of people pro and anti ghosts making a normal day pretty interesting. And now that her boyfriend Zachary is being deported back to Scotland she has the mystery of their origins to try and solve on her own, but then something happens that throws everyone for a shocking loop. A scary emotional loop that kept my eyes glued to the pages until the very end!

In a world full of intense emotional roller coaster rides, Aura is an amazing survivor type of girl. This is good because she's been through so much in her past and still has so much more to go through to find her happily ever after. Her resilience is really something to live by, I'm sure I'd be rocking in a corner somewhere if our roles were reversed. Plus, she's a super thinker! Figuring out the truth to the Shift and her connection to it is something that is constantly on her mind. Not to mention the incredible things she can do for the ghosts and shades - but it's really astonishing! But keeping it a secret is even more incredible, especially when she has to go all secret agent girl to keep someone safe and solve the final mystery of the Shift. Along for the ride is her best friend Megan (who I adore and would want for a bestie), Dylan (who is the BEST and not just because he's Logan's younger, sweet brother!), Siobhan and Mikey Keeley (who I am glad to have around even if Logan is officially passed on), and her aunt Gina! Having everyone appearing is like going back for a new season of your favorite show - I can't get enough of these characters, they are all great!

Another great, is Zachary! In the beginning of the trilogy I was pretty hooked on Logan, but this time around I think I've finally fallen for Zach. And it's not just because he has a sexy Scottish accent! He's just so perfect and even more perfect for Aura. Here is a type of guy that gets deported, has something traumatizing happen to him, lives with flashbacks of said trauma, and still is awesome enough to remain tough and continue to save to day in a dramatic way. The boy is the BEST basically! Plus, he's a cutie! And yes, I so LOVE his accent - especially when he's talking with his friends! Another reason to love him is the way he is okay with the connection that Aura and Logan still share even if he's passed on - that makes him great to me. Aside from my knew love of Zach, he's also the key element to helping Aura get to the bottom behind the Shift and to the possibility of change. But the best part is when they can get away from webcams and finally come face to face. This portion of the book I'm basically living on cloud 9! *Swoon*

By the time I reached the end of Shine, I wanted to give Jeri Smith-Ready a hug for ending the trilogy perfectly! I was a little worried about how everything would come together, but not anymore, it was everything I'd hoped it to be and so much more. It makes me wish it wasn't an end at all so that I could continue to follow stalk each and every character from the trilogy! If your a fan of intense emotional rides that will take your breath away, equally breathtaking romance, a story that wraps itself around you so that it consumes everything in you; then the Shade trilogy is a definite must read - NOW! The ending is absolutely brilliant and wonderful, the characters are so alive in everything they do (the living ones anyway!), and the way everything comes together is what a great trilogy is meant to be. All in all, I whole heartily recommend Shine for a read and so much more after you finish! And, for you Logan fans, there is some pretty great mentions of him - they all had me in tears!

What's YOUR teaser?    

19 comments:

Preet said...

I've heard great things about this teaser, but I loved your teaser! It's so strong in description and kind of poetic.

I'm reading Scars by Cheryl Rainfield!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

What a great teaser! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

CMash said...

Romantic teaser!! Nice.

Book Savvy Babe said...

i haven't read this series, but it looks great. Thanks for sharing the beautiful teaser today :) Book Savvy Babe

Jo K said...

What a beautiful teaser! Thanks for stopping by!

Amber at The Musings of ALMYBNENR said...

Is this a review instead of a teaser? Anyway, it's the third book and I haven't read any of them so I just scrolled down, I'm sorry.

Thanks for stopping by my TT!

Amber
The Musings of ALMYBNENR

Lark Andrea said...

I have read the first book in this series, but really need to finish it. I love Jeri Smith-Ready's writing.

Reading Lark's Teasers

Unknown said...

Looks like a good series. Here is my TT http://newpaperadventures.blogspot.com/2012/05/teaser-tuesday-may-29.html

Christine Rains said...

That's a great teaser. It's beautifully written. So poetic.

Unknown said...

I LOVE that teaser. Beautiful, simply beautiful :)
Thanks for stopping by!

Wordsmith Publicity said...

Just started this series recently. LOVE IT

Mimi Valentine said...

Oh, Amy! I've always been a Logan fan so I was really sad to hear that he actually passed on in the last book, but the fact that there are still heartbreaking mentions of him makes me happy :') And I LOVE that you love Dylan like I do! The moment I fell for him was when he told Zachary off in the limo and I seriously wish I could've jumped into the book to bearhug him!

Really sweet teaser, Amy! I can't waaaaaaait until my copy of Shine arrives! :D <3

Jessica @ a GREAT read said...

Oooh nice tease! Still have to get this one! So behind on so many series!

Here's my Teaser

Have a GREAT day!

Old Follower :)

Misha Gerrick said...

Sounds like an awesome story. I'd love to read it.

As for my teaser, I'm too lazy to go fetch my book. :-P

Sullivan McPig said...

Nice teaser and good review.
I will keep this series in mind

Aeicha @ Word Spelunking said...

Great teaser and review! I've heard awesome things about this series.

Thanks for stopping by.
:) Aeicha @ Word Spelunking

Jan said...

Great teaser, although not a book I would likely read. Thanks for sharing this one.

Unknown said...

Lovely teaser. I loved this book and series so much it hurts. I'm so happy you loved it.
Thanks for sharing!

KB said...

Thanks for this, sounds like a book I would like to read.