Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2012

My Book Boyfriend #11: Jeremy Parish

A weekly meme, hosted by Missie at The Unread Reader, in which we swoon over boys in books!

This week's book boyfriend is
Jeremy Parish
from Struck by Jennifer Bosworth


 Jeremy portrayed by Brant Daugherty


Facts about Jeremy:

He is roughly seventeen to eighteen years old.
Has blue eyes (wears black-framed glasses), an angular face, a curvy elegant mouth, and soft dark hair.
Doesn't sleep that often, so he spends him time reading.
Drives a motorcycle!
Has visions of the future and does his best to change things!
Is very protective, but always forces himself to stay level-headed and on top of a situation.




Favorite Lines / Scenes:


“A Modern Prometheus is the novel’s subtitle.” As much as I wanted it to be, the voice that answered wasn’t mine. For one thing, it was male. For another, it knew the answer. 
 I searched for the owner of this voice and found a pair of the most beautifully tortured blue eyes I’d ever seen gazing at me through a pair of black-framed, Clark Kent glasses. And the face behind those glasses … angular, with a curvy, elegant mouth. And above those glasses … soft, dark hair. Whoever this guy was, he hadn’t been in Mr. Kale’s English class before the quake. 
I would have noticed. 
Noticing would have been the only thing I could do. Like I noticed how perfectly healthy he looked, not skinny and malnourished. Like I noticed how neat and clean his clothes were, as though they’d been ironed. Like I noticed his manicured fingernails. But if I just focused on the eyes, the tortured blue eyes, I saw someone who had suffered more than any of us. As I had when I first encountered Katrina, I decided immediately that this guy did not fit. 
There was something off about him. Or something on. 
Mr. Kale turned from me to the guy in the glasses. “Mr. Parish, is it?” 
“Jeremy,” he said. 
Jeremy, a hungry little voice repeated in my mind."


***


"Jeremy stopped shaking and abruptly rose to his feet, turning to me. As he did so a breeze pushed its way into the room, through the windows at my back, and my skin began to tingle, like my whole body had fallen asleep and was now waking up to thousands of tiny pinpricks. A storm. There was a storm coming. And Jeremy was walking straight toward me.
“I NEED TO talk to you,” Jeremy said. 
From the grim tone of his voice, it sounded like he was about to tell me he’d run over my dog. Not that I had a dog."


***


"It was so dark I couldn’t make out who stood over me. An image flashed behind my eyes. There was something familiar about the silhouette, but I couldn’t place it. The guy looming over me had something clutched in his hand, but in the memory trying to climb to the surface of my mind, there had been something else in his hand. Something shiny and— 
“Mia,” the silhouette panted. “Are you all right?” 
“Jeremy?” 
My mind went blank with surprise, and the recollection I’d been struggling to capture said goodbye. 
“Are you all right?” he demanded. 
“Yeah. Yeah, I’m fine.” I was getting there, anyway. The fire in me dimmed, making it easier to form a clear thought. Jeremy turned his eyes away. I looked down and saw that my pants were undone, and my shirt was pulled up to just beneath my bra. I sat up, scrambling to right my clothes. Had he seen my lightning scars?"




"He shoved his hands in his pockets like he didn’t know what else to do with them. His cheeks looked smooth, like he’d just shaved. My fingers wanted to feel them to know for sure, so I trapped my hands in my pockets, too. 
“I wanted to make sure you were okay after what happened on the beach, and—” He cleared his throat and lowered his eyes. “After what I showed you.” 
I didn’t know what to say. The truth was, I still hadn’t really processed what had happened that day. What was still happening. “Why do you care?” 
I descended the steps until we were nearly at eye level. 
“And why do you seem so familiar to me? Have we met before today?” 
Jeremy lowered his chin, turned his face away. He pulled a hand from his pocket and smoothed his hair down over his forehead. He glanced up at me through the tops of his glasses. 
His voice was soft. Low. “I’ve seen you before.” 
My cheeks felt warm. “There you go, sounding like a stalker again.” 
But I found myself wanting to stand closer to him. Jeremy’s pull was like an opposite charge, asking me to reach out. To connect. It was so similar to that feeling I had when a storm moved in overhead, that need to call the lightning down and let it inside me."


***


Oh Jeremy! You had me at 'novel subtitle' - and those pretty blue eyes! Struck by Jennifer Bosworth is my current favorite read, so really, Jeremy was an easy pick this week. I definitely have a weakness for good looking mysterious types that have a penchant for heroism! Plus, it was super easy to find a Jeremy look-a-like too - Brant had me sold on ABC Family's Pretty Little Liars. They are both too cute for words and the perfect kind of book boyfriend! 




Who's YOUR book boyfriend? Check out the Guest Post above for what I'm doing When I'm Not Reading! What do you all do when not distracted by beautiful books and their swoon worthy boys?

11 comments:

Lis said...

Oh God, Amy! I always love your picks!!! You always read those books I really want to. And this time is as perfect as always!
Great great great pick and amazing quotes!

Lis @ The reader lines

Jennifer said...

Love it! I really want to read Struck now. Jeremy sounds wonderful and such pretty eyes on that model. Thanks for sharing!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Ooh what an adorable Jeremy. Struck sounds like a great book. I'm curious to check it out now!! Who doesn't love a glasses-wearing, book-reading, adorable boy?! i sure do!

-Lauren

Joie said...

Oh Jeremy~ how you make my heart flutter! This book is going on my TBR list immediately!

Here’s my Book Boyfriend

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

Brant Daugherty! He is so hot! And his beautiful blue eyes makes him the perfect Jeremy.

Thanks for the guest post today! :)

Megan said...

I need to read this book like right now! Jeremy sounds absolutely adorable, and those quotes are amazing! Thanks for visiting my post. :)

Sandra Tyler said...

Thought of you for a writing workshop hop I've started. You might find some fun prompts and critiques?
http://sandrasfiberworks.blogspot.com/2012/05/sandras-writing-workshop-hop.html

Diana said...

still havent read STRUCK but I will be bck to compare ;)

Miss Page-Turner said...

I didn't enjoy STRUCK very much. I'm sorry I didn't like Jeremy that much either, but you choose a fanastic actor for him. Maybe that makes me change my opinion about the book and characters;)

Mimi Valentine said...

Oh my gosh, THAT'S where I knew him from! I saw all the pictures as I was scrolling down and reading your sweet, sweet quotes, wondering who that actor was... but he's Nohl Kahn from Pretty Little Liars! :D (Glad to know I have another PLL fan around the blogosphere *high fives*) I really, really want to meet Jeremy now like I really, really want to read this book too, so hopefully I can manage to get a copy soon!

You have such great taste in boys, Amy! ;) I hope you're having a wonderful day! <3

Kristina said...

This post got me even more excited to read Struck!!