Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Review: Deity (Covenant, #3) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Deity (Covenant, #3)
From Goodreads

"History is on repeat, and things didn't go so well the last time. "

Alexandria isn't sure she's going to make it to her eighteenth birthday--to her Awakening. A long-forgotten, fanatical order is out to kill her, and if the Council ever discovers what she did in the Catskills, she's a goner... and so is Aiden.

If that's not freaky enough, whenever Alex and Seth spend time "training"--which really is just Seth's code word for some up-close and personal one-on-one time--she ends up with another mark of the Apollyon, which brings her one step closer to Awakening ahead of schedule. Awesome.

But as her birthday draws near, her entire world shatters with a startling revelation and she's caught between love and Fate. One will do anything to protect her. One has been lying to her since the beginning. Once the gods have revealed themselves, unleashing their wrath, lives will be irrevocably changed... and destroyed.

Those left standing will discover if love is truly greater than Fate...

My Take 

*Spoilers below if you haven't read books 1 & 2 in the Covenant series*

OMGs! I NEED to read Apollyon like yesterday - April hurry up! Since I can't WAIT talk about this book, I am going to ramble on and on about all the greatness I consumed in one day. The story continues from the end of Pure, with Alex, Aiden and Seth sharing the secret of what really happened when the Furies arrived. Alex is now just a few weeks away from turning 18 and becoming the second Apollyon. She is not dealing well with it and Seth's excitement doesn't help. There are so many twists, turns and revelations in Deity that it takes awhile for it all to sink in, but when they did, WOW. Some are not going to like the changes but personally, I think they made the book seriously way epic! I want to say I saw it coming all along but believe me, no matter what you expect to happen, it will grip you. Gods, words can't even begin to describe how amazing this book was. I couldn't put it down until I reached the end!

I am being absolutely honest here in saying that Alex is my all time favorite heroine in young adult fiction! Seriously, she is so painfully likable and real it's hard not to relate to everything she goes through over the course of this series. Her strength of character is really something to be reckoned with even when dealt some pretty extreme situations. I love the fact that with her approaching Apollyon birthday, she doesn't let the seriousness of it make her act better than everyone or overly weirded out by possibly changing. In fact, she's her own person. Given certain events I think she is the absolutely best person to be the second Apollyon, but things might not be what they seem. You'll have to read WHY for yourself!

Besides Alex and her awesomeness, there are the boys to contend with - and what contentment there is! To start off, I'm going to gush a little about Aiden. In the previous books I fell for him pretty early on, but some things he and Alex gave up made me not like him so much. But, I became quiet invested in the whole forbidden connection that he and Alex share and really couldn't help rooting for them. However, we still have Seth. He is quite simply so easy to like and in a weird way it's also easy to understand why Alex feels the way she does for him, but he's hiding something and the truth could destroy things between them. Choices! I tell you these boys have me turned into a puddle of mish-mashed  hormones that may never fully recover after reading!

One of the many things I love about Jennifer L. Armentrout's writing, is that her style is so uniquely fast paced and heart pacing in it's originality that I had no other choice but to be hooked from page one. Deity has this in spades! There is more mythology of the Covenant, Council, and even of the Gods than the previous two books had - I wish that I was living in that very world! The action is stepped up here to the point where I was literally gasping at what I prayed would or would not be the outcome. And overall, everything from start to finish had me constantly boiling over with either laughter, tears, or complete captivation. Basically, Deity rocked my socks off! By the end of it I knew I needed to read Apollyon as soon as possible and I so can't wait until it's release in 2013. All in all, I totally recommend this for a read or several and then - you know - go back to savior it all over again! 


My Casting

Alex: https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkXLkrZwbKqRuUfVf-jgpSQK8fneAkmcEGbjJFZyCBd8GqhVMw


Aiden: https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsgBrqe35iwR-jpZP56yiD81LBZA_d3p4L74Gyg6FriM5eYZdO

Seth: https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvb19nW9Ei99Bx9kWrlO7VBGBQj0E1gcxie3bBv4FQucBkPLBlIA

1 comment:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Amy, it's good to hear from you.