Pages

Friday, November 16, 2012

Review: What Happens Next by Colleen Clayton

From Goodreads

How can you talk about something you can’t remember?

Before the ski trip, sixteen-year-old Cassidy “Sid” Murphy was a cheerleader (at the bottom of the pyramid, but still...), a straight-A student, and a member of a solid trio of best friends. When she ends up on a ski lift next to handsome local college boy, Dax Windsor, she’s thrilled; but Dax takes everything from Sid—including a lock of her perfect red curls—and she can’t remember any of it.

Back home and unable to relate to her old friends, Sid drops her college prep classes and takes up residence in the A/V room with only Corey “The Living Stoner” Livingston for company. But as she gets to know Corey (slacker, baker, total dreamboat), Sid finds someone who truly makes her happy. Now, if she can just shake the nightmares and those few extra pounds, everything will be perfect... or so she thinks.


My Take

10++++ (brilliantly beautiful) stars!!!!!


“Then I look over at Corey, who is watching me with a tenderness that makes me want to crawl inside his heart, pitch a tent, and set up camp forever.”

There are no words that can describe how emotionally intense and beautiful this book is, other than...WOW. As soon as I read the synopsis I just knew I had to read this story, and boy am I glad that I did! What Happens Next is about Cassidy 'Sid' Murphy, a girl that after spending a night she can't remember with a stranger, goes through something no one ever should. Her daily life is a constant battle to stay ahead of the trauma she went through and not let herself break or to let anyone else find out. All the pain starts to slowly dissipate (and come to light) when a boy she would never give the time of day comes to into her life. With the help of a boy with his own secrets, Sid learns that some things shouldn't have to be dealt with alone.



“You're beautiful, Sid,' he says, pushing my hair out of my face. 'And I never said it at first because it seemed so obvious to me, so easy. I didn't say it because I never wanted you to think the things I say to you are just things. Empty compliments to get in your pants. I wanted the things I say to you to be extraordinary, because that's what you are to me. Extraordinary. And I'm so sorry I didn't say it sooner, because I think you need to hear it. You were beautiful a year ago and you're beautiful now.” 


What happens next is an emotionally beautiful love story about healing and it was one that I was sucked in right from the start. Corey is such a wonderful character and I think I might have fallen for him right along with Sid. He completes her in a way that makes her feel almost normal in her constant chaos. Unfortunately like most things, it's not easy. They're journey together is one that will stick with me for a while. Plus, the boys humor is so deliciously addicting that I snickered every time he and Sid started up with the funnies.

“He cups the back of my neck with his hand and holds the other against my face, rubbing my cheek with his thumb. Slowly, he leans down and kisses me.
Soft, then deep.
I ooze against the house. I can feel his kiss in my whole body, like warm liquid pouring through me—gold, rich, and melting. After about a minute of what can only be described as sheer ecstasy, Corey rests his forehead against mine so we can both catch our breath. Then he takes my head into his hands and looks at me hard, like his heart is breaking.
'I have wanted to do that for so, so long.'
I cannot speak. I can only nod yes and hope he knows what I mean. He kisses me more...
"... for months and months..."
"... when you sprayed me with Dr. Pepper..."
"... at the bakery when you were holding that corned beef..."
"... and every single time I see you..."
I lean against the house and hold on to his wrists so I don't dissolve into a puddle. And I kiss him back. Over and over, I kiss him back.” 


 
But it's Sid's characters voice and the way she see's things that really stood out to me. To overcome everything that is thrown at her is so brave, not that she's without pain though. It's the pain that she traps within herself that speaks epic volumes. Her world gets spiraled out of control when her condition takes a turn and something from the past catches up with her. What Happens Next is a thrill-ride of emotional turmoil that had me in tears more than once.
 

“Do you love me?' I say quietly, still staring at the water.
He pauses. I turn to look at him. His eyes are soft and big and the corners of his mouth turn upward into a shy grin.
'Yeah. Yeah, I do. I was going to tell you. It's just, I've never said it to anyone, so I was... I kept...'
'I love you, too' I say.” 


All in all, this is an intriguing heartwarming story that I definitely recommend for a read or several! Colleen Clayton is now one of my favorite writers, and I so can't wait for her next book to come out. Also, surprisingly awesome, there is sort of a soundtrack hidden within the story - one that I am now obsessed with! And of course, because of a certain brown eyed cutie, I now have a craving to baked goods. I'll need some after the way What Happens Next touched me, I was definitely a tear-tracked-mess while reading! So grab your copy of Colleen Clayton's wonderfully written masterpiece! 

This is my Corey: http://hunkforo.com/photos/picture.ph...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, this sounds good. I love contemporaries with a lot of soul searching. I'll consider this one. Thanks!

Cally Jackson said...

Sounds like an amazing book. Thanks for the review. Will have to check it out for myself. :-)

Misha Gerrick said...

*sob* Amazon doesn't have it in kindle format. :-(