Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Teaser Tuesdays & Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout Review

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
My Teaser:

"Heavy footsteps came from the other side, and then the door was swinging open and I was staring at a very broad, tan, well-muscled chest. A naked chest."

Pg. 4, Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout.

More Teasers, becasue I just couldn't resist sharing the awesome!

“Beautiful face. Beautiful body. Horrible attitude. It was the holy trinity of hot boys.” -Pg. 23.

“My palms itched to have a close encounter of the bitch-slap kind with his face. 'I dislike you so very much.'” -Pg. 274.

“Will you show me what you really look like? You don't sparkle, do you?”
-Pg. 135.

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout Review

From Goodreads

Starting over sucks.
 
When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring…. until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don’t kill him first, that is.

My Take

When I first read the description of Obsidian it reminded me a lot of the alien show Roswell, and because I absolutely loved Half-Blood I so needed to read this one as well. And I am so glad that I did, because this is in a tie for my favorite book of the year! From the very first page I knew it was nothing like Roswell, in fact it was better in ever possible way. The story centers around Katy who just moved to a small town with her mother, so they can overcome a not so recent loss that still feels fresh. It doesn't take her long to meet her neighbors or to figure out that there is something more than the boys rude attitude and the girls overly friendly nature going on. What transpires is pure hot boy awesomeness and wonderful storytelling.

The narrator is Katy, and as a reader I love hearing the voice of the main character, and love it even more when they are snarky. Katy is definitely that and then some, and it's great! She doesn't take anything from anyone, even when she isn't sure about herself. It has to be said that she is such a strong character. I doubt that I'd react the same to some of the things she goes through again and again. Underneath it all though, she is still just a girl, one that follows her heart even if it leads her the wrong way. The best part is that she is a review blogger, how sweet is that!

My most favorite aspect of Obsidian has to be the incredibly hot hottie neighbor Mr. Sexy Pants Daemon, because behind every great heroine there is always a super hot guy to obsess over. Am I right?
He's this great looking, dark featured, snarky guy that has a I don't care what I do or say kind of attitude. One of hi better qualities is that he's very protective of those he cares for...plus, you know...he's an alien. It's no surprise that he and Katy don't really hit it off right away, since they have the same witty and snarky outlook on life, there is another problem though; it's forbidden for them to be together, as in the species. Total bummer, because Daemon is the best basically. 

All this makes it wonderful the entire time, but I'm not telling, you'll just have to find out for yourself! It is quite the thrill-ride though, and totally worth looking into. Another great aspect of Obsidian is Daemon's twin sister Dee, and while he might be rude and broody at times, she is his complete opposite with her bubbly optimistic attitude. She takes an instant liking to Katy and wants to be best friends, even though Katy seems a little hesitant at first. The girls hit it off though, as if they should have been besties long before then and just never had the chance to meet. Just like with Daemon though, Katy isn't really allowed to be friends with Dee either, this leads to some unfortunate great situations. Meeting the twins changes Katy's life and it leaves her wondering if it's for the better or worse.  

Amongst all the captivating storytelling and yummy hot guys there is a really great start to a series with Obsidian, one I am looking forward to eagerly anticipating and consuming the day of it's release. If you love a great story that sets up a beautifully original plot with wonderful characters that you just can't get enough of, then I definitely recommend this one for a read and then a re-read because it is that good!

Check out Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout HERE on Goodreads to give a read and view the awesome fan made trailer below! :)  



What's YOUR teaser?

11 comments:

Jessica @ a GREAT read said...

OOh I LOVED that last teaser!!

Here's my Teaser

Have a GREAT day!

Old Follower :)

Sullivan McPig said...

Sounds like I should keep an eye out for this book

Unknown said...

Loved, loved, LOVED those teaser lines! I've heard good things about this book. Must add it to my to-read list now!
PS. Thanks for adding GUARDIAN to your to-read list!

Unknown said...

I have been wanting to read this one forever! I hear it is amazing and those quotes were awesome!
Thanks for visiting my blog!

Cherie Reich said...

Awesome teasers! I've been wanting to read this book.

Here's my teaser: http://surroundedbybooksreviews.blogspot.com/2012/01/teaser-tuesdays-coffee-at-little-angels.html

Cassie S. said...

Definitely want to read it sometime.

You can find my Teaser here! CLICKY HERE! =D

& enter my 300 Follower Giveaway here! CLICKY HERE! =D

Book Savvy Babe said...

Love the teasers, great stuff there :) Thanks so much for stopping by my TT today! Book Savvy Babe

Mimi Valentine said...

Yay, Amy!! I'm so happy that you enjoyed this book as much as I did!! :) I absolutely LOVE all things that Jennifer L. Armentrout writes, and her amazing characters (especially Daemon <3) made it all the more breathtaking! Plus, I LOVED that Kay was a fellow review blogger too! COOLEST. THING. EVER! x)

Thank you so much for the absolutely amazing review & teasers, Amy! It kind of makes me want to go back and read this all over again! ;)

JC Jones said...

Really good teasers. Thanks for visiting.

Christine Rains said...

Hilarious teasers! And a recommendation that is a re-read. Now that is a high recommendation! :)

Aeicha @ Word Spelunking said...

I LOVED Obsidian! Daemon and Katy together *fans self*...hot hot hot ;)

:) Aeicha @ Word Spelunking